Monday, March 26, 2012

Intermittent connection error (with workaround)

Hi all,
I have a strange error when I try to connect to SqlServer from Bde
Administrator (and also with my Delphi program which uses the BDE) on
some computers (in this post I'll call this problematic computer
SERVER_A).
When I try to open a BDE alias which connects to the local SqlServer I
get (on 90 % of attempts) a "General Sql Error" Bde error 13059.
Sometimes (let's say 10% of attempts) it connects ok.
This is quite strange (it's not a password error) and I can't explain
this behavior.
I can connect (using Bde Administrator) with no errors from the same
computer (SERVER_A) to a SqlServer installed in another Pc (let's call
this computer PC_B) and I can connect (using Bde Administrator) with
no error from PC_B computer to the SqlServer installed on the
SERVER_A.
I use SqlServer security, the BDE uses ntwdblib.dll to connect (using
tcp/ip).
I've stopped all firewalls, proxies etc... but nothing helps.
The only thing that fixes the problem is to add a new route from
SERVER_A that goes out to a proxy instead of going to 127.0.0.1
address (the loopback address).
In other term if I add a new route in the SERVER_A pc for SERVER_A IP
address that goes out to a proxy with a metric that is less than the
127.0.0.1 one then all the connections are ok.
This is very strange: it seems a TCP-IP problem.....
Do you have any ideas about this strange behavior?
Thank you,
Bye, Rocco.I have the same problem, BDE and Windows 2003 SP2.
I solved it temporarily by using the named pipes protocol in SQL
Server Client Configuration.
But I would like to solve it by continuing to use TCP/IP.
Perhaps a security problem in windows 2003 SP2.
I checked also with portqry, and the server listens to port 1433.
Any other ideas ?
Jean-Christophe

No comments:

Post a Comment