Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Intermittent data source problem - trying to access a deleted data source

Hello
I am using Reporting Services within Visual Studio .Net 2003, connecting to
a SQL Server 2000 database.
I am having an intermittent problem with a report misbehaving. The report
has 5 subreports, all of which work fine on their own (for the most part).
The problem is that, sometimes, when I run the main report I get the
following error:-
"An error occurred while executing the subreport ¡OppsHotProspects¢: An
error has occurred during report processing.
Cannot create a connection to data source 'GuessDB'."
This error sometimes only appears for one report, sometimes for all. The
issue is that the 'GuessDB' data source is no longer used; in its place the
'GuessDBLive' data source is now used. I have removed the 'GuessDB' data
source.
When I run each subreport by itself they run fine, and the data source used
in both the Data tab and the Preview tab is the correct one. One
subreport, however, intermittently misbehaves and gives the same error on
its own.
I am very confused as to why this is happening. Presumably something in
each subreport is referencing the deleted data source, but I can't figure
it out. The deleted one should not be getting used at all.
I'd appreciate any help!
Thanks
DeniseFor anyone else having the same problem, I think I've found the answer.
Out of sheer frustration, I examined the code on each report, and on one
there was a chunk of code which referenced the obsolete data source. I've
no idea why this code remained on one report and not the others, but it
did. I removed the offending code, and the problem (touch wood!) has been
resolved.
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:03:38 +0000, Denise wrote:
> Hello
> I am using Reporting Services within Visual Studio .Net 2003, connecting to
> a SQL Server 2000 database.
> I am having an intermittent problem with a report misbehaving. The report
> has 5 subreports, all of which work fine on their own (for the most part).
> The problem is that, sometimes, when I run the main report I get the
> following error:-
> "An error occurred while executing the subreport ¡OppsHotProspects¢: An
> error has occurred during report processing.
> Cannot create a connection to data source 'GuessDB'."
> This error sometimes only appears for one report, sometimes for all. The
> issue is that the 'GuessDB' data source is no longer used; in its place the
> 'GuessDBLive' data source is now used. I have removed the 'GuessDB' data
> source.
> When I run each subreport by itself they run fine, and the data source used
> in both the Data tab and the Preview tab is the correct one. One
> subreport, however, intermittently misbehaves and gives the same error on
> its own.
> I am very confused as to why this is happening. Presumably something in
> each subreport is referencing the deleted data source, but I can't figure
> it out. The deleted one should not be getting used at all.
> I'd appreciate any help!
> Thanks
> Denise

No comments:

Post a Comment