Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Intermittent field display

This is either a bug, or I am crazy.

I have developed a report that pulls its data from an SSAS cube. The report is grouped on Fields!FacilityName. On each "page" of the report, I have information for the displayed facility.

At the top of each page in my report I have a textbox whose value is =Fields!FacilityName. Further down on the report I have another text box whose value is set exactly the same. When I preview the report, I always have a value in the upper box, but only sometimes have a value in the lower box. If I change the value in the lower box to just a text string, it will always display, but when I put in the actual field reference it does not. It always doesn't display for the same facility names. Remember, the upper textbox on the form always displays 100% of the time.

I have a Dundas chart in the middle of the page on the report between these textboxes, but another field that pulls parameters and even a matrix all render correctly below that chart.

They both have the same parent according to the properties. I have even copied and pasted the working textbox further down the screen, with no improvement. When I changed the value of the textbox to "=cstr(len(Fields!FacilityName))", on the pages when it wants to be blank, it reads 0, and on other pages it shows a larger number. But the other textbox on the screen will always properly show the FacilityName.

I have also tried changing the name of the textbox, settings output to YES instead of Auto. If I slide the non-working textbox up to the top of the page and the working textbox down to the bottom area of the page, the bevavior switches.

Does anybody know of rendering issues with textboxes showing the same infomation?

Are you running at least SSRS2005 SP1 (on the server and for BI Dev.Studio)?

-- Robert

|||My server is running Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Version 9.00.2047.00, and I am using VS 2005 with the most recent service pack on my development PC. Both exibit the behavior I describe.
Could it be something odd in the XML of the report that I just cannot see in the IDE?
|||We are running 9.00.2047.00 on the server, and my VS 2005 is up to date. Maybe there is something buried in the XML of the RDL that I just cannot see in the IDE that is causing the problem.|||I also have a ticket in with Dundas since when I remove the chart off the report, the textbox renders correctly. Perhaps the chart is breaking the recordset in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment