Friday, March 30, 2012

internal consistency error

I have a sql database
I run dbcc checkdb and get no errors
I go to backup the database in enterprise manager, and it won't
restore because it has internal consistency errors
I can go back to an older version of the database

I run a particular procedure in our accounting software package
Never do I get errors when running dbcc checkdb

Sometimes I get the backup and restore problem, sometimes I don't

I am doing this on a test server with about 220 megs of RAM

I am trying the dbcc checkdb ('dbname',REPAIR_REBUILD) command

Any other ideas?An update to the problem:

I ran the process on my test server on a one-gig or so database and it
runs fine but gets an internal consistency error when I backup and try
to restore (dbcc checkdb, with and without REPAIR_REBUILD, runs just
fine)

But I run the process on the real server and it backs up and restores
just fine

So .........

It points to a resource problem on the test server

But I am not sure of this

Any feedback on this from anyone?|||brucestromcpa@.aol.com (bruce strom) wrote in message news:<8a9196fd.0310300827.41041bda@.posting.google.com>...
> An update to the problem:
> I ran the process on my test server on a one-gig or so database and it
> runs fine but gets an internal consistency error when I backup and try
> to restore (dbcc checkdb, with and without REPAIR_REBUILD, runs just
> fine)
> But I run the process on the real server and it backs up and restores
> just fine
> So .........
> It points to a resource problem on the test server
> But I am not sure of this
> Any feedback on this from anyone?

A consistency error means that the backup set is corrupt, for some
reason. That could mean a hardware issue, or a bad tape, or perhaps
backing up across an unreliable network. There are also issues if the
two versions of MSSQL are not the same. Perhaps you can give some more
details - where are you backing up to (tape, local drive, network
drive)? What version of MSSQL do you have? What's the operating system
and filesystem? As a minimum test, is this reliable on your test
server:

backup database MyDB to disk = 'c:\MyDB.bak' -- or another local drive
restore database MyDB from disk = 'c:\MyDB.bak'

If that isn't reliable, do OS-level tools detect any integrity issues
with the filesystem?

Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment