Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Intermittent Login failure at boot

I have a Windows Service middleware application that depends on SQL
Server. We are migrating from an existing Windows 2000 server/
SQLServer 2000 to Windows 2003 Web Edition and SQLServer Express. At
boot time and more often than not, the middleware application fails to
start and SQLServer reports a Failure Audit saying the Login failed
for the user 'SomeUser'. This is the account the middleware uses, it
is a SQLServer account and not a Windows account.
But once the machine is booted and I login to the server, I can start
the middleware application successfully using the Services control
panel. I'm assuming that despite the dependency of my middleware
service on the SQLServer service, SQLServer is not sufficiently
initialised to accept client connections at the point that my
middleware service tries to connect. I can't say whether this is
peculiar to SQLServer Express because to see if it also occurs with
SQLServer Standard 2005 I would need to reinstall and configure the
operating system and application software.
If there is no workaround for this, the only solution I can think of
(without going to Windows 2003 Standard and SQLServer 2005 Standard)
is to write another Windows Service to check whether or not my
middleware started successfully and to start it if it failed to start.
Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Go through the SQL Server log to get a better idea if it's
just a timing issue...which I would guess it probably is.
You should see the login failure with a date time as well as
when the database the middleware uses is available, when SQL
is ready to accept client connections. You would also want
to check the state of the login failure to see the cause of
the failure.
But...going through the log should give you more information
to understand what's going on in your situation.
-Sue
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 17:46:13 -0700, Dave
<pigwin32@.gmail.com> wrote:

>I have a Windows Service middleware application that depends on SQL
>Server. We are migrating from an existing Windows 2000 server/
>SQLServer 2000 to Windows 2003 Web Edition and SQLServer Express. At
>boot time and more often than not, the middleware application fails to
>start and SQLServer reports a Failure Audit saying the Login failed
>for the user 'SomeUser'. This is the account the middleware uses, it
>is a SQLServer account and not a Windows account.
>But once the machine is booted and I login to the server, I can start
>the middleware application successfully using the Services control
>panel. I'm assuming that despite the dependency of my middleware
>service on the SQLServer service, SQLServer is not sufficiently
>initialised to accept client connections at the point that my
>middleware service tries to connect. I can't say whether this is
>peculiar to SQLServer Express because to see if it also occurs with
>SQLServer Standard 2005 I would need to reinstall and configure the
>operating system and application software.
>If there is no workaround for this, the only solution I can think of
>(without going to Windows 2003 Standard and SQLServer 2005 Standard)
>is to write another Windows Service to check whether or not my
>middleware started successfully and to start it if it failed to start.
>Any help with this problem would be much appreciated.
>Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment